Madras Christian College (MCC) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu held its Valedictory Function of the Quartoseptcentenial – 175 years, today. “Since its foundation in April 1837, the Madras Christian College has pursued excellence in the field of education, guided by the principles of faith, sound knowledge and service of humanity. The founders of the College were inspired by their belief that serving God means more than worship and prayers, and that it is also about putting your love for God into action by carrying out work and service in his name,” said Vice President of India M. Hamid Ansari during his address.
“For over one and a half century, the College has strived to provide quality education to its students based on the fundamental tenets of academic excellence, social relevance and spiritual vitality,” he added.
Founded as a School in 1837 in the black town of Madras, the Institution was built and its character shaped by a host of Scottish missionaries such as Anderson and Miller, Hogg and Boyd. Many dedicated Indian teachers as well as generations of brilliant students contribute to its success story. Leaving their legacy behind is a galaxy of illustrious alumni like President Radhakrishnan. Such was the stature of the Institution that Mahatma Gandhi agreed to chair a student session in its premises in George Town in 1916, while Billy Graham spoke in the famous Anderson Hall in Tambaram in 1956.
Today the College has more than 5000 students, including male and female, and over 220 faculty members serving in 31 departments. The institution is ranked among the Top Ten Liberal Arts and Science Colleges in India and also received the Rating of A+ (equivalent to 90-95%) by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The 365 acre salubrious, idyllic campus has rare diverse flora and fauna.